Today's quick conversation with a client's daughter reminded me how you can save substantial premiums on your auto insurance. No disrespect tothe Generals, the Geckos and Perky White Uniform women who all say they can save you "Hundreds of dollars per year", but here is some practical advice:
- Increase your liability insurance coverage way above minimum requirements. It costs an insurance company more to defend you and they'll pass the costs on to you.
- Make sure if you're a new driver, to have certified drivers ed. If you didn't take drivers ed, take an advanced avoidance training program.
- If you have a claim, make sure you notify your company immediately, and provide as many details as possible. In other words, don't leave it to someone else, and don't settle a claim privately!
- Have a quality anti theft system installed or included when purchasing a new or used car.
- If you commute to work, take public transportation with monthly passes. You can also carpool to decrease your mileage. Insurers will credit you for this.